A funded MPhil place is offered for a suitable candidate researching in any of the following fields:
- The History of the Book
- Medieval/Pre-Modern English Literature (c.550-1650)
- Medieval Manuscript Studies
- Digital Humanities (especially as relates to pre-1650 research topics)
- Law and Literature (especially as relates to pre-1650 research topics)
- History of the English Language
The primary supervisor of this MPhil will be Dr. Anya Adair. As part of this MPhil, the candidate will assist Dr. Adair with research into the history of the “Ancient Statute” collection (c.1250-1550). These medieval manuscripts contained copies of Magna Carta and other statutes, and were among the most popular books produced in the medieval period. The candidate will receive training in using and analysing manuscript catalogues, describing and studying ancient books, and in the tools of the digital humanities (e.g. database construction and user experience design).
For more information about this MPhil opportunity, or to discuss possible research topics with Dr. Adair, please email email@example.com.